You should have your home roof inspected by a professional contractor at least once a year. In the meantime, you can perform a self-inspection if you know what to look for. In most cases, the symptoms of a roof that needs maintenance are easy to identify. Below are some tips to help get you started.
When Should You Inspect Your Roof?
There are critical moments when a roof assessment is necessary.
● Hailstorm. Check for small round pits in the roof surface.
● High Winds. After torrential rains or threat of a tornado. Whenever there are high winds that are stronger than normal.
● Ice Dams. Snow and ice dams can weaken a roof’s structural integrity.
● Gutters. If the gutters on the roof are broken, leaking, or warped, it could be a sign of a larger problem.
● Warranty. If the warranty has expired on your roof, that means that problems are sure to arise. Warranties cover expected lifespan and nothing more.
Identifying the Symptoms of a Damaged Roof
Now that you know when to assess your roof, it’s now time that you know what to look for. Remember, that, essentially, all roofs have to contend with two elements: wind and moisture. Although heat and UV rays will also cause wear and tear on a roof, it’s wind and rain that can penetrate the surface. It’s the point of penetration that you should be most concerned with. Below is a list of common symptoms that are easy to identify.
● Leaks. There is no greater indication of a weak or damaged roof than water coming through the surface. Leaks can be found in the attic or the ceiling of your home.
● Missing Pieces. Are there missing shingles, tiles, or other components on the roofing system?
● Poor Ventilation. Are the vents on the top or the side of the roof in good condition? Is there proper ventilation?
● Flashing. The flashing should be rust-free and in excellent condition with no cracks or holes.
● Chimney. All chimney and pipes should be properly sealed around the boots.
● Decking. Decking should be completely intact with no separated boards. The wood boards should lie flat with no buckling or warped areas.
● Mold or Mildew. Mold infestation can be a sign of deteriorating wood.
Get Your Roof Professionally Inspected
If you need your roof professionally inspected, then contact the certified roofing contractors at Intelligent Design Corp. We provide a wide range of residential and commercial roofing service for home and business owners in Maple Grove, Minnesota and the surrounding area. Call us at 763-315-0745. You can also message us on our contact page.