Intelligent Design installs EPDM roofing on commercial structures across Maple Grove and Minneapolis, Minnesota. Building owners prefer EPDM for several reasons.
Below, we go over the finer points of EPDM and why it is a good choice for your roof.
What is EPDM?
EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) is a durable synthetic rubber roofing membrane primarily used on commercial and residential homes. EPDM is available in both black and white and comes in a range of widths, lengths, and two thicknesses (45 and 60 mils).
Installing the EPDM Roofing Membrane
There are three ways we can install EPDM:
● Fully Adhered: We can adhere the roofing across the surface. This creates a tight seal that makes it difficult for moisture or air to get underneath.
● Mechanically Attached: We attach the membrane with mechanical fasteners through both the insulation and decking material at the seams.
● Ballasted: We lay insulated sheets loosely on the decking. We then add the EPDM sheets. The entire roof is weighed down using ballast.
The method we use to install the EPDM depends on the type of roofing surface on top of the building. In some cases, we may install a certain type of roofing depending on the climate or environment your building is in.
Advantages to EPDM Roofing
There are several benefits to installing EPDM roofing on your building:
● Safe and Easy to Install. There is no open flame, asphalt, or heavy machinery required. An EPDM roof system has few seams and is also a lightweight.
● Durable. An EPDM membrane carries a warranty of 25-50 years. EPDM is engineered from high-quality polymers. It requires less energy to manufacture and install than other roofing systems.
● Weather Resistant. In the right environment, EPDM roofing holds up well against rain, wind, UV rays, hail, and ponding. It has a high degree of flexibility in both hot and cold weather.
● Cost-Effective. One of the most significant advantages of EPDM over other types of roofing is that it is more affordable.
EPDM Installation Process
The EPDM installation process is actually quite simple. We can complete most projects in only a few hours or a few days.
We begin by clearing off the old roofing. It doesn’t matter what type of roofing was on your previously. We can clean and smooth out the surface to prepare it for the new roofing material.
We then lay out the rubber membrane and allow it to flatten for 30 minutes. When it is flat against the surface, we add the adhesive. Afterward, we sweep the membrane to remove any trapped air or moisture. We cut back any excess material.
The process is slightly different for adhesives, mechanical attachments, or ballasted roofing.
EPDM Roofing Installation and Replacement
If you are looking for a new or replacement commercial roofing system in Maple Grove or Minneapolis, Minnesota, call Intelligent Design. We offer a wide range of roofing and home improvement services.
To schedule a consultation or service, call us at 763-315-0745, or you can message us on our contact page.